Professor Kenneth Leung 梁美儀
Kenneth Mei Yee Leung obtained a BSc degree in Applied Environmental Sciences with first class honours at University of Portsmouth in England in 1993, and accomplished his MPhil study in Environmental Science at City University of Hong Kong in 1996. As a recipient of the Swire’s James Henry Scott PhD Scholarship, he undertook a doctoral study at University of Glasgow in Scotland and obtained his PhD in Marine Ecotoxicology in 2000. He was subsequently awarded The Croucher Foundation Fellowship, enabling him to conduct his 18-month postdoctoral study in ecological risk assessment of antifouling biocides at Royal Holloway, University of London in England (2000-2001).
Over the past, Prof. Leung was invited by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) to develop a manual for assessing ecological risks of aquaculture practices, and frequently invited by the United Nations (UNEP/PEMSEA) to give lectures on ecological risk assessment in their regional training workshops. Between June 2010 and September 2012, he served as the elected President for the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Asia/Pacific Geographic Unit. Owing to his professional achievements and community services, Prof. Leung was selected as one of the "Ten Outstanding Young Persons 2010" by Junior Chamber International Hong Kong. In August 2017, the Ecological Society of Japan will award him their prestigious “2016 Biwako Prize for Ecology” which recognises and honours his outstanding academic achievements and societal contributions in Asia.
In Nov 2017, Leung was conferred as a Fellow of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) which currently has about 6500 professional members from over 100 countries.
Currently, Prof. Leung serves as an appointed member in the following committees or boards for the Hong Kong SAR Government:
- Member, Advisory Council on the Environment (2017-)
- Chairman, Fisheries Enhancement Fund Management Committee (2016-)
- Member, Steering Committee for the Marine Ecology and Fisheries Enhancement Funds (2016-)
- Member, Town Planning Appeal Board Panel (2015-)
- Chairman, Marine Parks Committee (2015-).
- Member, Country and Marine Parks Board (2015-)
- Member, Board of Directors of the Ocean Park Corporation (2015-)
- Trustee, Ocean Park Conservation Foundation Hong Kong (2015-)
- Member, Advisory Council on Food and Environmental Hygiene (2013-)
- Chairman, Marine Mammal Conservation Working Group (2013-)
- Member, Red Tide/Harmful Algal Blooms Expert Advisory Group (2011-)
- Fellowship in 2000 at Royal Holloway College
Professor of School of Biological Sciences at The University of Hong Kong