- Fellowship in 1992 at The University of Hong Kong
Professor S K Tang obtained his BSc(Eng) from the Mechanical Engineering Department of The University of Hong Kong in 1987. He finished his PhD specializing in acoustics and fluid dynamics from the same department in 1992.
Professor Tang joined the Department of Building Services Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in July 1993 and since then has been involved in teaching subjects related to the Built Environment and Acoustics. He is currently the leader of the Building Acoustics and Vibration research group in the Department and is the Director of the Urban Noise Research Laboratory of the Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development of the University. He is also active in organising acoustics conferences and providing services to the industry. Professor Tang has published over 90 research papers in SCI journals denoted to the science and applications of fluid mechanics, acoustics and mathematics. He has also completed over 80 consultancy projects.
Building Acoustics and Vibration, Aeroacoustics, Fluid Dynamics, Environmental Noise Control
Research and Academic Experiences
· Director of the Urban Noise Research Laboratory, the Research Institute for Sustainable Urban Development
· Deputy Director, PolyU Niche area consortium for sound and vibration research
· Invited speaker, HKIE-MMNC Conference on Advanced Technology in Transportation for a better environment.
· Member, the INCE International Technical Study Group on Harmonization and Implementation of Global Noise Policies (TSG7)
· Member of Research Committee, PolyU (2003 - 2005)
· Chairman of Departmental Research Committee (2003 - 2006)
· Invited speaker for the Workshop on Acoustic Scattering and Emission by Turbulence organized within the Geophysical Turbulence Program by the National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), Boulder, Colorado, USA (August 2002)
· PhD external examiner of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (2002)
· Leader of the Organizing Committee for "New Challenges in Building Acoustics -- a one-day symposium" (2001)
· Organizing Committee Member, 8th International Congress on Sound and Vibration, Hong Kong, China (2000)
· Advisory Committee Member, Acoustics & Vibration Asia '98, Singapore (1998)
· International Advisory Committee Member, INTERNOISE '98, New Zealand (1998)
· Secretary, The Sixth Western Pacific Regional Acoustics Conference, Hong Kong (1997)
· Regular reviewer for major journals, such as Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America and American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Journal.