- Scholarship in 1984 at Swansea University
- Studentship in 1982 at the The University of Hong Kong
Professor & Head, School of Engineering & ICT, University of Tasmania, Australia (from March 2015)
SeaSky Expert科研类海天学者, Dalian University of Technology大连理工大学, PR China from 2015
Editorial Board member of ICE journal of Engineering and Computational Mechanics from 1st November 2015
Subject Editor, Journal of Applied Mathematical Modelling from June 2012
He is a Chartered Professional Engineer and registrant on the National Engineering Register, Engineering Executive and Fellow of Engineers Australia. He is also a Member of the British Computer Society, Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council, a European Engineer with the European Federation of National Engineering Associations. He reviews for many journals and a subject editor for Applied Mathematical Modelling, an international journal. He also reviews for many grant agencies such as EPSRC, UK and the Hong Kong Research Grant Council. He is a member of the ARC College of Experts since year 2017 and EPSRC peer review college since year 2003. He is also a Fellow of the “Higher Education Academy”.
Working Experience and positions held:
Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia (from February 2013 to March 2015)
Deputy Dean, Information Technology & Engineering, University of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia (from February 2013 to Jue 2014)
Contract Professor海外合约教授and part-time PhD supervisor境外兼职博士生导师for Harbin Institute of Technology哈尔滨工业大学, PR China from 2009 to 2014
Deputy Head of School (Teaching), School of Civil Engineering, The University of Birmingham (from 1st August 2011 to January 2013)
Head of Education, School of Civil Engineering, The University of Birmingham (from 1st August 2011 to January 2013)
Professor in Computational Engineering, School of Civil Engineering, The University of Birmingham (from 1st January 2005 to February 2013)
- Reader in Computational Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Birmingham (from 1st September 1995 to 31st December 2004)
- Honorary Professor, Sichuan University, China (March 1999 to February 2003)
- Lecturer 1B (10/92-8/95) and 1A (10/88-9/92), Department of Civil Engineering, Glasgow University.
- Research Assistant, Soil Mechanics Group, Cambridge University Engineering Department. (5/88-9/88)
- Ph.D. from the department of Civil Engineering, University College of Swansea. (1984-1988 awarded in 1989) supervisor: Prof. O.C. Zienkiewicz Title of Thesis: A unified Finite Element Solution to static and dynamic problems in geomechanics
- M.Phil. from the department of Civil Engineering, University of Hong Kong. (1982-1984 awarded in 1985) supervisor: Prof. Y.K. Cheung Title of Thesis: Stability and Vibration of Mindlin plate with or without hole
- B.Sc.(Eng.) with First Class Honours from the department of Civil Engineering, University of Hong Kong. (1979-1982)
He is the author or the co-author of over 230 published technical
journal and conference papers as well as chapters in edited books. He
has also co-authored a book entitled “Computational geomechanics with
special reference to earthquake engineering” with the late Prof.
Zienkiewicz and others published in Feb 1999. He is one of the world
leading experts in the use of the finite element method for static and
dynamic fully coupled soil and pore-fluid interaction and the author of
two comprehensive Finite Element packages for deformable porous media
and pore fluid interaction.
Current Research Interests:
- Development and application of computer and numerical methods in Civil Engineering with particular interest in Finite Element method, Discrete Element Method, Dynamic problem and Geotechnical Engineering
- Coupled fluid flow in deformable porous media under various time scales