Gary Tse 謝家偉
2018: Guest Professorship in Cardiovascular Medicine, The First Affiliated Hospital of Dalian Medical University, Dalian, Liaoning, P.R. China
2016: Assistant Professor and Principal Investigator, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong S.A.R., P.R. China
2015: Assistant Professor, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong S.A.R., P.R. China
Gary Tse is a clinician-scientist with training in physiology, medicine, cardiac electrophysiology, public health and healthcare management. He started his medical and scientific training at the University of Cambridge in 2005. He was awarded the Gregon and Benn Award (Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge) for research exchange to Yale University's Department of Biomedical Engineering. Dr. Tse was selected for the Frankl Award (Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge), The Wellcome Trust and The Physiological Society Scholarships for cardiovascular research at Cambridge, and a Master's scholarship for MPhil study in Computational Biology from the Cambridge-MIT Institute, which he declined to take up a BBSRC CASE Collaborative Doctoral Training Award, as 1 of the 3 recipients across three Departments selected from an open recruitment exercise. Later, he conducted research in cardiovascular MRI at the Royal Brompton Hospital whilst undertaking clinical training at Imperial College London.
He received his Bachelor of Arts with Honours (B.A.) from the University of Cambridge in June 2008, Master of Arts (M.A.) from the University of Cambridge in March 2012, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S.) from Imperial College London in July 2014, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) from the University of Cambridge in July 2015, Master in Public Health (M.P.H.) from the University of Manchester in 2017 and is completing a Master of Health Management (M.H.M.) at the University of New South Wales.
In August 2015, Dr. Tse was appointed Assistant Professor in Biomedical Sciences, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong. In 2016, he took up The Croucher Foundation Clinical Assistant Professorship at the Faculty of Medicine of The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He is a Principal Investigator in the Faculty's Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences. In 2018, Dr. Tse was appointed to Guest Professorship in Cardiovascular Medicine at the First Affiliated Hospital of Dalian Medical University. He also delivered lectures as Visiting Professor to the Second Affiliated Hospital of the Tianjin Medical University.
Dr. Tse is a regular academic reviewer for > 35 international journals in cardiology, cardiac electrophysiology and cardiovascular biology, and reviews for grants bodies from the United Kingdom and New Zealand. He serves on the Editorial Board on the Journal of Electrocardiology, Frontiers in Physiology, Cardiac Electrophysiology Section, Cardio-Oncology and Oxford Medical Case Reports. He is a Nucleus Committee Member of the Young Community of the International Society of Electrocardiology and is co-lead of the International Health Informatics Study Network (IHISN). He has served as chairman or co-chairman of five cardiovascular conferences and has delivered over 20 lectures as invited faculty in local, national and international conferences.
Dr. Tse has attracted HK$10.6 million research-related funding as a principal applicant and co-applicant and has supervised over 75 medical and science students for medical research, most of whom have published at least one paper (maximum 20 for a single trainee thus far). In recognition of contributions to the understanding of cardiac electrophysiology, Dr. Tse was recently awarded the ECG Bayés Award by the International Congress of Electrocardiology for the best research output by a young investigator. For excellence in teaching and medical education, he was selected for the Junior Clerkship Exemplary Teachers’ Award and elected to the Fellowship of the UK's Academy of Medical Educators.
- 2019 M.H.M. (Healthcare Management), The University of New South Wales, Australia
- 2017 M.P.H. (Public Health Medicine), The University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- 2015 Ph.D. (Cardiac Electrophysiology), The University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 2014 M.B.B.S. (Clinical Medicine), Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- 2012 M.A., The University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- 2008 B.A. (Hons.) (Pre-clinical Medicine), The University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Professional Memberships and Fellowships:
- F.F.P.H. (U.K.) - Fellow, Faculty of Public Health, Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom (2019)
F.Acad.M.Ed. - Fellow, Academy of Medical Educators (2018)
- F.R.C.P. (Edinburgh) - Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (2018)
- M.F.P.H. (U.K.) - Member, Faculty of Public Health, Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom (2018)
- F.H.R.S. - Fellow, Heart Rhythm Society (2018)
- F.A.C.E. - Fellow, American College of Epidemiology (2017)
- F.Acad.T.M. - Fellow, Academy of Translational Medicine Professionals (2017)
- F.R.C.P. (Glasgow) - Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (2017)
- F.A.C.C. - Fellow, American College of Cardiology (2017)
- F.E.S.C. - Fellow, European Society of Cardiology (2016)
F.I.B.M.S. - Fellow, Institute of Biomedical Sciences (2016)
- F.R.S.P.H. - Fellow, Royal Society of Public Health (2016)
- C.Sci. (U.K.) - Chartered Scientist, The Science Council (2016)
- F.L.S. - Fellow, Linnean Society of London (2014)
- F.C.P.S. - Fellow, Cambridge Philosophical Society (2009)
- Member, Royal Society of Medicine (2005)
Dr. Tse has published more than 198 publications (97 as first/co-first/corresponding/co-corresponding author; citations: >1500; h-index = 25) in leading international journals, such as European Heart Journal, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, JACC: Clinical Electrophysiology, Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging, International Journal of Cardiology, Stroke, Heart, Journal of the American Heart Association, Heart Rhythm, Acta Physiologica (Oxford), Europace, Frontiers in Physiology, Journal of Arrhythmia etc. on the following research themes: