- Fellowship in 1986 at University of Waterloo
- Scholarship in 1983 at University of Cambridge
Dr Grantham K.H. Pang obtained his Ph.D. degree from the University of Cambridge in 1986. He was with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada, from 1986 to 1996 and joined the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Hong Kong in 1996. Since 1988, he published more than 212 technical papers and has authored or co-authored six books. Dr Pang has obtained five U.S. Patents for HKU based on his research work. He has also worked for 8 months with Hitachi Research Lab, Japan, as a Senior Visiting Researcher in 1994, and was a consultant to Mitsubishi Electric Corp. in 1996. His research interests include AI in healthcare, MRI brain segmentation, deep learning, intelligent transportation systems, machine vision for surface defect detection, optical communications, expert systems for control system design and intelligent control. He is in charge of the Industrial Automation Research Lab. Dr. Pang was the Organizing Chair of the 1996 IEEE Symposium on Computer-Aided Control System Design. Dr. Pang is an Editor of the International Journal Mechatronic Systems and Control. He is a Chartered Electrical Engineer, and a member of the IET, HKIE and IEEE.
WeChat ID: GranthamPang
Deep learning, AI in healthcare, Cell segmentation and counting, Genetic algorithm, intelligent transport systems.
Consultant to the following companies:
AEON Credit Service (Asia) Co. Ltd., Hong Kong Mass Transit Railway Corp. (MTRC), Mitsubishi Electric Corp., Hitachi Research Lab.
1. Pang, G.K.H. and Chao, M., “A Neo-reflective Wrist Pulse Oximeter”, IEEE Access, Vol. 2, pp. 1562-1567, 2014.
2. Manoharan, H, Pang, G.K.H. and Wu, H., “Visualization of MRI Datasets for Anatomical Brain Segmentation by Pixel-level Analysis”, 10th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference, Vancouver, Canada, October 17-19, 2019.
3. Pang, G.K.H., Wang, B., and Kwong, E., “Bionic chair system with pressure sensing and adjustment”, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Robotics and Mechatronics, Osaka, Japan, July 3-5, 2019.
4. Kwong, E., Wu, T.H. and Pang, G.K.H., “A Prediction Model of Blood Pressure for Telemedicine”, Health Informatics Journal, DOI: 10.1177/1460458216663025, August 4, 2016.
5. Pang, G.K.H. and Kwong, E., “Considerations and Design on Apps for Elderly with Mild-to-moderate Dementia”, The International Conference on Information Networking (ICOIN 2015), Siem Reap, Cambodia, Jan 12-15, 2015.
6. Wu, T.H., Pang, G.K.H., Choy, K.L. and Lam, H.Y., “An Optimization Model for Electric Vehicle Battery Charging at a Battery Swapping Station”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 67, pp. 881-895, DOI: 10.1109/TVT.2017.2758404, October 2, 2017.
7. Wu, T.H., Pang, G.K.H., Choy, K.L. and Lam, H.Y., “A Charging-Scheme Decision Model for Electric Vehicle Battery Swapping Station Using Varied Population Evolutionary Algorithms”, Applied Soft Computing, Volume 61, Pages 905-920. December 2017,DOI: 10.1016/j.asoc.2017.09.008
8. Hou, Y.L., Hao, X.L. and Pang, G.K.H., “Crowd segmentation using both appearance and stereo information”, Journal of Signal Processing Systems, Vol. 90, No. 3, pp. 421-432, 2018, DOI 10.1007/s11265-017-1258-2, March 2018.
9. Chu, M.H. and Pang, G.K.H., “3D Shape Reconstruction based on Directional LED lights”, 10th IEEE Annual Information Technology, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference, Vancouver, Canada, October 17-19, 2019.
10. Tsang, C.S.C., Ngan, H. and Pang, G.K.H., “Fabric inspection based on the Elo rating method”, Pattern Recognition, Volume 51, pp. 378-394, March 2016.
11. Ngan, H. and Pang, G.K.H., “Robust Defect Detection in Plain and Twill Fabric Using Directional Bollinger Bands”, Optical Engineering, 54(7), 073106, July 2015.
12. Canhong Lin, K.L. Choy, G.T.S. Ho, H.Y. Lam, Pang, G.K.H. and K.S. Chin, “A Decision Support System for Optimizing Dynamic Courier Routing Operations”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 41, pp. 6917-6933, 2014.
13. Hou, Y. L. and Pang, G.K.H., “Multi-cue based crowd segmentation using appearance and motion”, IEEE Transactions on Systems Man & Cybernetics, Part A, Vol. 43, Number 2, pp. 356-369, March 2013.
14. Qiao, D.P. and Pang, G.K.H., “A Modified Differential Evolution with Heuristics Algorithm for Non-convex Optimization on Sensor Network Localization”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Volume 65, Issue 3, March 2016, DOI:10.1109/TVT.2015.2409319.
15. Qiao, D. P., Pang, G.K.H., “Evolutionary approach on connectivity-based sensor network localization”, Applied Soft Computing, Volume 22, pp. 36-46, September 2014.