- Fellowship in 2018 at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Born and raised in Hong Kong, Wai Chung received his undergraduate education at Hong Kong Baptist University and conducted undergraduate research on the applications of cyclometalated iridium(III) / rhodium(III) complexes in DNA-based phosphorescent probes and molecular therapeutics. In 2013, he joined the laboratory of Prof. Fuk Yee Kwong to pursue his doctoral studies at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He has developed a series of palladium/norbornene co-catalyzed reactions and novel phosphine ligands for palladium-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions of aryl halides and sulfonates. Currently, he is carrying out his postdoctoral research in Prof. Timothy F. Jamison's laboratory at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Continuous flow techniques enable highly efficient synthesis through the telescoping of multistep reactions, and Wai Chung's current research is focused on streamlined continuous-flow synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients such as anti-cancer agents and antibiotics. He also seeks to employ the many attributes of flow chemistry to enable reactions which would otherwise be difficult or improbable to achieve under regular batch conditions.
1. Fu, W. C.; Kwong, F. Y.* “A Denitrogenative Palladium-catalyzed Cascade for Regioselective Synthesis of Fluorenes” Chem. Sci. 2020, 11, 1411.
2. Fu, W. C.; Jamison, T. F.* “Modular Continuous Flow Synthesis of Imatinib and Analogues” Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 6112.
3. Zhao, Q; Fu, W. C.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Regioselective Aromatic Extension of Internal Alkynes through a Norbornene-Controlled Reaction Sequence” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 3381.
4. Fu, W. C.; Zheng, B; Zhao, Q.; Chan, W. T. K.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Cascade Amination and Acetone Monoarylation with Aryl Iodides by Palladium/Nobornene Cooperative Catalysis” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 4335.
5. Fu, W. C.; Wang, Z.; Chan, W. T. K.; Lin, Z.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Regioselective Synthesis of Polycyclic and Heptagon-embedded Aromatic Compounds through a Versatile π-Extension of Aryl Halides” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 7166.
6. Fu, W. C.; Wu, Y; So, C. M.; Wong, S. M.; Lei, A.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Catalytic C2-Alkenylation of Oxazoles at Parts per Million Levels of Palladium/PhMezole-Phos Complex” Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 5300.
7. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Yuen, O. Y.; Lee, I. T. C.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Exploiting Aryl Mesylates and Tosylates in Catalytic Mono-a-Arylation of Aryl- and Heteroarylketones” Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 1872.
8. Fu, W. C.; Zhou, Z.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Preparation of A Highly Congested Carbazoyl-Derived P,N-type Phosphine Ligand for Acetone Monoarylations” Organometallics. 2016, 35, 1553.
9. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Phosphorylation of Aryl Mesylates and Tosylates” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 5906.
10. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Chow, W. K.; Yuen, O. Y.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Design of an Indolylphosphine Ligand for Reductive Elimination-Demanding Monoarylation of Acetone Using Aryl Chlorides” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 4612.