- Fellowship in 2018 at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Born and raised in Hong Kong, Wai Chung received his undergraduate education at Hong Kong Baptist University and conducted undergraduate research on the applications of cyclometalated iridium(III) / rhodium(III) complexes in DNA-based phosphorescent probes and molecular therapeutics. In 2013, he joined the laboratory of Prof. Fuk Yee Kwong to pursue his doctoral studies at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He has developed a series of palladium/norbornene co-catalyzed reactions and novel phosphine ligands for palladium-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions of aryl halides and sulfonates. He carried out his postdoctoral research in Prof. Timothy F. Jamison's laboratory at Massachusetts Institute of Technology from 2018 to 2020. He then joined The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a Research Assistant Professor.
Continuous flow techniques enable highly efficient synthesis through the telescoping of multistep reactions, and Wai Chung's current research is focused on streamlined continuous-flow synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients such as anti-cancer agents and antibiotics. He also seeks to employ the many attributes of flow chemistry to enable reactions which would otherwise be difficult or improbable to achieve under regular batch conditions.
1. Fu, W. C.; MacQueen, P. M.; Jamison, T. F.* “Continuous Flow Strategies for Using Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases in Fluoroalkylations” Chem. Soc. Rev. 2021, 50, 7378.
2. Fu, W. C.; Jamison, T. F.* “Deuteriodifluoromethylation and gem-Difluoroalkenylation of Aldehydes Using ClCF2H in Continuous Flow” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, 59, 13885. (Selected as Synfact of the Month by Synfacts 2020, 16, 1001.)
3. Fu, W. C.; Kwong, F. Y.* “A Denitrogenative Palladium-catalyzed Cascade for Regioselective Synthesis of Fluorenes” Chem. Sci. 2020, 11, 1411.
4. Fu, W. C.; Jamison, T. F.* “Modular Continuous Flow Synthesis of Imatinib and Analogues” Org. Lett. 2019, 21, 6112. (Highlighted by Synfacts
2019, 15, 1213.)
5. Zhao, Q; Fu, W. C.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Regioselective
Aromatic Extension of Internal
Alkynes through a Norbornene-Controlled Reaction Sequence” Angew. Chem. Int.
Ed. 2018, 57, 3381. (Highlighted by Synfacts
2018, 14, 0370.)
6. Fu, W. C.; Zheng, B; Zhao, Q.; Chan, W. T. K.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Cascade Amination and Acetone Monoarylation with Aryl Iodides by Palladium/Nobornene Cooperative Catalysis” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 4335.
7. Fu, W. C.; Wang, Z.; Chan, W. T. K.; Lin, Z.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Regioselective Synthesis of Polycyclic and Heptagon-embedded Aromatic Compounds through a Versatile π-Extension of Aryl Halides” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 7166.
8. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Yuen, O. Y.; Lee, I. T. C.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Exploiting Aryl Mesylates and Tosylates in Catalytic Mono-a-Arylation of Aryl- and Heteroarylketones” Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 1872. (Highlighted by Organic Chemistry Portal)
9. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Phosphorylation of Aryl Mesylates and Tosylates” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 5906. (Highlighted by Organic Chemistry Portal)
10. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Chow, W. K.; Yuen, O. Y.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Design of an Indolylphosphine Ligand for Reductive Elimination-Demanding Monoarylation of Acetone Using Aryl Chlorides” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 4612. (Highlighted by Organic Chemistry Portal)