Dr Wai Chung Fu 傅偉聰
Born and raised in Hong Kong, Wai Chung received his undergraduate education at Hong Kong Baptist University and conducted undergraduate research on the applications of cyclometalated iridium(III) / rhodium(III) complexes in DNA-based phosphorescent probes and molecular therapeutics. In 2013, he joined the laboratory of Prof. Fuk Yee Kwong to pursue his doctoral studies at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He has developed a series of palladium/norbornene co-catalyzed reactions and novel phosphine ligands for palladium-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions of aryl halides and sulfonates. Currently, he is carrying out his postdoctoral research in Prof. Timothy F. Jamison's laboratory at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Continuous flow techniques enable highly efficient synthesis through the telescoping of multistep reactions, and Wai Chung's current research is focused on streamlined continuous-flow synthesis of active pharmaceutical ingredients such as anti-cancer agents and antibiotics. He also seeks to employ the many attributes of flow chemistry to enable reactions which would otherwise be difficult or improbable to achieve under regular batch conditions.
1. Zhao, Q; Fu, W. C.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Regioselective Aromatic Extension of Internal Alkynes through a Norbornene-Controlled Reaction Sequence” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 3381.
2. Fu, W. C.; Zheng, B; Zhao, Q.; Chan, W. T. K.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Cascade Amination and Acetone Monoarylation with Aryl Iodides by Palladium/Nobornene Cooperative Catalysis” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 4335.
3. Fu, W. C.; Wang, Z.; Chan, W. T. K.; Lin, Z.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Regioselective Synthesis of Polycyclic and Heptagon-embedded Aromatic Compounds through a Versatile π-Extension of Aryl Halides” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 7166.
4. Wu, Y.; Fu, W. C. (Co-first Author); Chiang, C,-W.; Choy, P. Y.; Kwong, F. Y.*; Lei, A.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Mono-a-Alkenylation of Ketones with Alkenyl Tosylates” Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 952.
5. Fu, W. C.; Wu, Y; So, C. M.; Wong, S. M.; Lei, A.*; Kwong, F. Y.* “Catalytic C2-Alkenylation of Oxazoles at Parts per Million Levels of Palladium/PhMezole-Phos Complex” Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 5300.
6. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Yuen, O. Y.; Lee, I. T. C.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Exploiting Aryl Mesylates and Tosylates in Catalytic Mono-a-Arylation of Aryl- and Heteroarylketones” Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 1872.
7. Fu, W. C.; Zhou, Z.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Preparation of A Highly Congested Carbazoyl-Derived P,N-type Phosphine Ligand for Acetone Monoarylations” Organometallics. 2016, 35, 1553.
8. Fu, W. C.; Zhou, Z.; Kwong, F. Y.* “A Benzo[c]carbazolyl-Based Phosphine Ligand for Pd-Catalyzed Tetra-ortho-substituted Biaryl Syntheses” Org. Chem. Front. 2016, 3, 273.
9. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Palladium-Catalyzed Phosphorylation of Aryl Mesylates and Tosylates” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 5906.
10. Fu, W. C.; So, C. M.; Chow, W. K.; Yuen, O. Y.; Kwong, F. Y.* “Design of an Indolylphosphine Ligand for Reductive Elimination-Demanding Monoarylation of Acetone Using Aryl Chlorides” Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 4612.
- Fellowship in 2018 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Postdoctoral Fellow of Department of Chemistry at Massachusetts Institute of Technology